Rubbish, waste and recycling
Please help to protect the bin crews and yourself and your family by washing your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before:
- Putting anything in your bin
- Putting your bin out for collection
- Bringing your bin in after collection
If someone in your home is suffering from coronavirus-type symptoms, or is self-isolating due to a possible infection, please:
- Place all personal waste such as tissues, wipes and disposable cleaning cloths in a separate disposable rubbish bag. Tie the top to prevent anything falling out
- When full place this bag into a second bag, that is also then tied securely
- Keep this bag for at least 72 hours in a place not accessed by people or pets
- Follow the guidelines above about hand washing before using your bin
- Put the bag in your green household waste bin for disposal as normal
Following the fire at the Waste Transfer Station next to Campground Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC) you might notice some changes to your bin collection times.
All bins will continue to be collected on your usual day, but your bin may be collected at a different time to usual due to some small changes to the routes and vehicles while the Waste Transfer Station remains out of use.
Remember to put your bin out at 7.30am on the day of collection. Check your bin collection day www.sunderland.gov.uk/bindays
Campground HWRC has now reopened, and Sunderland residents can continue to use Beach Street HWRC - remember you need to book an appointment. Find out more and book www.sunderland.gov.uk/household-waste-centres