Bulky waste collections
If you have unwanted household items that won't fit in your green bin, or recycling items that won't fit in your blue bin, there are a number of ways to donate or recycle them without having to book a bulky waste collection:
Donate to local charity shops
- Take your good quality unwanted items to the St Vincent's Revive Sunderland charity reuse shop - operated by St Vincent de Paul Society - at Pallion Household Waste and Recycling Centre. They accept a wide range of household and garden items as well as sporting and camping equipment
- There are lots of charity shops in the city centre and in local high streets across the city, including Oxfam, Age UK, Barnardo's, British Heart Foundation and St Benedict's and many more
- You can also donate clothes to charity by placing them in the charity metal containers in car parks and other sites in the city
Recycle your items
- Recycle as many household items as you can in your blue recycling bin. Don't forget to wash and squash food and drinks containers
- The Household Waste and Recycling Centres (HWRCs) at Pallion Industrial Estate, Sunderland and Campground, Wrekenton accept a huge range of items that can be recycled. Remember to book a free appointment before using the centres
- Use bottle banks in supermarket car parks when you go to do your shopping
- Use websites such as Freecycle and GumTree
Use our Household Waste and Recycling Centres (HWRCs)
- The HWRCs at Pallion and Campground accept a huge range of household waste and recycling items, including large bulky items. Remember to book a FREE slot before using the centres:
Garden waste collections
- If you subscribe to our garden waste collection service, we will empty your brown bin once every two weeks from the end of March until mid-November. It's quick and easy to sign up:
Bulky waste collections
Please note this service is strictly for residential properties only. It cannot be used for commercial properties.
Residential properties in the city can currently receive free bulky waste collections, subject to availability. Unfortunately we are currently unable to offer any paid for bulky waste collections.
We will collect up to a maximum of SIX items per bulky waste collection from your home address.
We have a ward based collection service for the bulky waste collection service. This means each ward in the city has an allocated collection day for bulky waste items. This system improves the service collection times for residents, improves service efficiencies and has a positive environmental impact through reducing our carbon footprint by reducing travelling times for vehicles.
If you are requesting a bulky waste collection from us a number of restrictions apply:
- No more than six items will be collected during each visit. For example, a three-piece suite counts as three items; a dining table and four chair counts as five items
- The collection team will only remove the items stated on your request. We want to make sure that we only take what you want us to. If there are items not listed on your request we may take photos to support any queries about your collection
Please note, we cannot collect asbestos or other potentially hazardous materials/substances such as waste oils, waste fuels, heating and cooking gas cylinders, and fluorescent tubes. Asbestos needs to be removed by a registered asbestos removal company - when using the link to search for a registered asbestos removal company, please select 'England' as the country, and 'Tyne and Wear' as the county.
Other hazardous items need to be collected by a legally registered waste carrier, or check on our website to see if they can be presented free of charge at one of our Household Waste Recycling Centres.
On the day of collection:
- Please help us by placing the items for collection on your property as close as possible to where the collection vehicle will park to collect them. You must make sure that our collection team can access your property to remove the waste items
- Please place your items from 7.30am on the day of collection, your items will be collected between 7.30am and 5pm. Bulky waste items due for collection must not be placed outside the boundary of the property before 7.30am on the day of your collection. Bulky waste items left out at any other times will be considered as fly tipping and enforcement action will be taken
- We might collect certain items, including electrical equipment, separately but it will still be on the same day
There are a few simple do's and don'ts to support our collection:
- Leave the specified items together neatly in the same place so it's clear to the crew which items should be removed
- Ensure loose items are safely and securely bundled together
- Where possible ensure items with sharp edges are made safe
- Keep access points clear on the day of collection
- Ensure waste is presented correctly and safely and in an accessible place for both the crew and vehicle. We reserve the right to reject the request on arrival should the items be in a location that prevents the crews from safely removing the items
- If any of the bulky waste items contain glass - such as TV units or mirrors - please make sure they are securely taped to minimise risk from breakages
- If your bulky waste items include fridges and freezers, please make sure they are emptied of all food waste
- Overfill refuse sacks (black bags) or boxes left for collection with heavy items that prevent the crews from safely lifting them. Please note, we only collect bags that are no larger than a standard black sack size
- Place bulky waste items due for collection outside the boundary of the property before 7.30am on the day of your collection. Bulky waste items left out at any other times will be considered as fly tipping and enforcement action will be taken
Changes to your collection:
If you need to make any changes to your collection, to add or remove items, or to cancel the collection, you need to contact the City and Neighbourhood team by calling 0191 520 5550. You need to contact us by 11am the day before your collection is due. If your collection is on a Tuesday, you will need to cancel by 11am on the previous Friday.
Please check the latest date you need to contact us for changes to be made to your booked collection date:
|Booked day of collection
|Last day to contact us to make a change
|No collections made
|Friday before 11am
|Tuesday before 11am
|Wednesday before 11am
|Thursday before 11am
Registered Waste Carriers
Frequently asked questions
We've put together a list of bulky waste collections frequently asked questions to answer some queries you may have about the service and how it operates.