Bulky waste collection
Remember - you can take many items to the Household waste and recycling centre (HWRC) to be disposed of free of charge.
It's simple to book and slots are available now.
Please note this service is strictly for residential properties only. It cannot be used by commercial customers or for commercial properties.
We can collect bulky waste items from your address. The charge for this service is £10 for up to a maximum of six items.
We have a ward based collection service for the bulky waste collection service. This means each ward in the city has an allocated collection day for bulky waste items. This system improves the service collection times for residents, improves service efficiencies and has a positive environmental impact through reducing our carbon footprint by reducing travelling times for vehicles.
If you are requesting a bulky waste collection from us a number of restrictions apply:
- No more than six items will be collected during each visit. For example, a three-piece suite counts as three items; a dining table and four chair counts as five items
- The collection team will only remove the items stated on your request. We want to make sure that we only take what you want us to. If there are items not listed on your request we may take photos to support any queries about your collection
Please note if you have asbestos or other potentially hazardous material to dispose of then please contact the City and neighbourhood team.
On the day of collection:
- Please help us by placing the items for collection on your property as close as possible to where the collection vehicle will park to collect them. You must make sure that our collection team can access your property to remove the waste items
- Please place your items from 7.30am on the day of collection, your items will be collection between 7.30am and 5pm
- We might collect certain items, including electrical equipment, separately. This will still be on the same day
There are a few simple dos and don'ts to support our collection:
- Leave the specified items together neatly in the same place so it's clear to the staff which items should be removed
- Ensure loose items are safely and securely bundled together
- Where possible ensure items with sharp edges are made safe
- Keep access points clear on the day of collection
- Ensure waste is presented correctly and safely and in an accessible place for both the crew and vehicle. We reserve the right to reject the request on arrival should the items be in a location that prevents the crews from safely removing the items
- If any of the bulky waste items contain glass - such as TV units or mirrors - please make sure they are securely taped to minimise risk from breakages
- If your bulky waste items include fridges and freeezers, please make sure they are emptied of all food waste
- Overfill refuse sacks (black bags) or boxes left for collection with heavy items that prevent the crews from safely lifting them. Please note, we only collect bags that are no larger than a standard black sack size
- Add items not specified for collection alongside paid items
Changes to your Collection:
If you need to make any changes to your collection, to add or remove items you need to contact the City and neighbourhood team.
Please check the latest date for changes in the table below.
|Day of collection||Last day for change|
|Monday||No collections made|
|Tuesday||Friday before 11am|
|Wednesday||Tuesday before 11am|
|Thursday||Wednesday before 11am|
|Friday||Thursday before 11am|