Toggle menu

Assessments for Care and Support

Find out how to get help and support

If you need care and support, there are a number of organisations that may be able to help you. 

Sunderland Information Point contains information about services and activities for adults, older people and their carers.

Sunderland information point (opens new window)

You can complete an assessment if you're aged 18 and over and experiencing difficulties due to a physical or mental health condition.

To be able to receive any care and support from us you need to meet the national minimum eligibility criteria. 

Who is eligible for help and support?

If you need social care help from us, we'll ask you some questions about your day-to-day life and support already in place to work out what you need - we call this an assessment. We will use the information you give us to help us meet your needs. Read more about how we use your information in adult social care.

If you need an assessment for a wheelchair, you will need to contact the Health and Wellbeing team.

Adult needs assessment

We have a duty to make sure you are fully involved in understanding and making decisions about the care and support you need. If you find it hard to be involved in the care process or don't have anyone who can help you, we offer an independent advocacy service through Total Voice Sunderland - Voice Ability (opens new window) who is the contracted provider for advocacy services in the city.

If you already have services and your needs change

If you are already receiving a service but feel that your needs or circumstances have changed, you can request a review. We will ask you a series of questions to help us determine what further help you may need. Once you have submitted your assessment, we'll respond to you to advise what happens next.

Other ways to get help

You can call the council on 0191 520 5552. Our team is available 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

After an assessment

After your assessment, we'll work out what we can do to help. Whether it's a piece of equipment, a care service or something bigger, we'll figure out the best thing for you. We'll let you know what we can do. Sometimes we'll make a plan so you know when things will happen. We'll also tell you if you need to pay towards your care.

Find out how we use your NHS number in adult social care.

Paying for care

If you have been assessed to receive care and support from us, you will receive a financial assessment to work out how much you may need to pay towards these services. Information can also be found on the Council's Deferred Payment Scheme and independent financial advice. 

Care Quality Commission (CQC) Provider Ratings

CQC ratings for adult social care services registered with Sunderland City Council Registered Services and provided by Sunderland Care and Support Ltd can be found at (opens new window).

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email