Toggle menu

Where to get more help

Where can I go for support?

If you want to save energy at home, you're struggling to pay your energy bills or are in debt with your energy supplier, there are lots of local and national organisations that offer support to help you get back on track.

WHF Logo

For help and advice:

Through funding from the Warm Homes Fund a dedicated advice and support service is now available to help save energy, cut gas and electricity costs and to stay more affordably warm and well now and in winter.  

To benefit you can contact Citizen's Advice Sunderland on 0191 731 6490

The service is free, confidential, impartial and tailored to the householder's needs. Citizens Advice Sunderland and Green Doctors work together to help with:

  • Benefit checks - you may not be claiming all the financial support and state benefits you are entitled to.
  • Household budgeting support
  • Help with fuel debt
  • Understanding your energy bills
  • Best tariffs and switching
  • Heating system and controls advice
  • Damp, condensation and mould advice
  • Signposting - Citizens Advice and Green Doctors can point people in the right direction for other support and services   

 Green Doctors provide home visits and / or phone calls to help households save energy and cut costs. Some residents may also receive FREE: 

  • Draught proofing
  • Reflective radiator panels
  • LED light bulbs
  • Damp humidifiers
  • Winter warmer packs

Helpful advice and support is available for anyone who needs it. To find out more contact Citizens Advice on 0191 731 6490 and an adviser will be happy to help.  

Other places to get help

Your energy supplier

It's worth contacting your energy supplier directly as they may be able to offer you a payment plan, or schemes and grants to help with home heating and energy costs.


Ofgem's website has lots of helpful information about how to reduce your energy usage and reduce your bills, and where you can go for help if you are struggling to pay your energy bills.

Citizens Advice Sunderland Utilities Team

The team can help you to reduce your energy costs by comparing energy providers, payment methods and tariffs. They also offer help and advice about debts, benefits, and other types of financial support that are available. Contact them Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm on 0191 415 8998 or email:

Green Doctors

This organisation offers free energy advice and services, such as fixing causes of heat loss in your home, tackling problems with mould and damp, and installing small energy measures, like draft excluders. They can also help you to access support such as emergency heating and applying for government subsidies and grants. Contact Julia Bentley on 07515 327 185, email or visit:

Advice providers in Sunderland

There's a range of advice providers across the city who offer free information, advice and guidance on welfare benefits, debt, employment, and housing matters. They can also give advice and support around reducing your energy costs and usage and help if you've fallen behind or are struggling to pay your energy bills.

Gentoo tenants

If you're a Gentoo tenant, visit their energy costs page to find out more about the support they can offer you.

Priority Services Register

The Priority Services Register is a free support service that makes sure extra help is available to people in vulnerable situations. Ofgem provide more information about eligibility and what kind of support energy suppliers offer.

Warm Homes Discount Scheme (WHD)

If you have a low income, you may be able to get money off your electricity bill for winter 2022 to 2023 via your energy supplier and the Warm Homes Discount Scheme (WHD).


The purpose of the above information is to provide householders with general guidance and useful tips only and not designed to provide professional or financial advice and should not be relied on as such. While the council uses reasonable endeavours to include and update information neither the council nor its employees will be liable for any loss, damage or inconvenience arising from the use of this information. You should check any information before acting or relying upon it.

The council does not endorse any 3rd party advice or installer and hence if claims are made from organisations to be acting on behalf of the council, you should check the validity of those claims.

This information was correct at the time of printing, for any changes to services, offer or opening times please contact provider directly or visit website listed.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email