Toggle menu

Your Benefits

Managed Migration from Tax Credits to Universal Credit  - January 2024 

Tax Credits are coming to an end and you will be asked to apply for Universal Credit. You will receive a Universal Credit Migration Notice from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).  This letter will explain what you need to do and by when. 

Will I get a letter? 

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) are writing to those of working age who get Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit only but not those on other means tested benefits such as Income Support (IS), Housing Benefit, Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Income based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA).  Remember, Universal Credit affects those of working age, including couples with one person of pension age.

When you get this letter, do not ignore it. You must claim Universal Credit because your Tax Credits will stop after 3 months of the date of the letter. 

When you do get the letter - this is what to do: 

  • You have to claim Universal Credit online at (or, you can claim it over the phone in limited circumstances - Universal Credit helpline 0800 328 5644) 

  • You have to provide information about you and your family 

  • You need to provide verification of you and your partner's identity 

  • You need to provide information about your income and housing costs 

  • You normally need a bank account to have your Universal Credit paid into 

For more information about migration to Universal Credit visit the government website

Claiming Benefits

Knowing which benefits you are eligible for can really help you make your money go further.  

Use the links below to get more information about: 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email