Learning and Skills Service
Welcome to the council's Learning and Skills Service.
Our overarching aim is to help Sunderland residents improve their skills and work prospects. We are funded by the Department of Education - Education and Skills Funding Agency, and were graded Good by Ofsted in our most recent Learning and Skills Service Ofsted report 2019.
Our vision is to motivate, equip and empower people through training and education to realise their full potential and improve all aspects of their lives, their families, their communities, and their local economy.
Learning and Skills strives to meet its vision through the design, development and delivery of unique, high quality learning opportunities enabling people to acquire knowledge, skills, and behaviours for their personal and professional development. Through our learning opportunities we aim to:
- contribute to Sunderland's economic growth
- support workforce development and career progression in the health and social care sector regionally
- promote better living and working
- improve confidence, self-esteem, health and wellbeing
- improve skills needed for employment, volunteering and self-employment
- provide routeways into employment or further education
- improve parenting skills and promote family togetherness
- help to build resilient and vibrant communities
You can access a wide range of courses either in a Covid-secure classroom, through remote delivery, or online.
To get started, have a look at the 'Find a course' section'. Here you will find a range of courses designed - and quality assured - to help you acquire the knowledge, skills and behaviours for that next step in realising your full potential.