Toggle menu

What are Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is help towards paying your rent.

If you live in privately rented accommodation Local Housing Allowance (LHA) may be used to calculate your entitlement to Housing Benefit

If you rent from a Housing Association the amount of Housing Benefit you get may be affected by the under-occupancy charge.

From 25 July 2018 we went live with Universal Credit Full Service.  From this date we cannot accept new claims for Housing Benefit for working age customers unless you:

  • live in Exempt or Specified Supported Accommodation - this does not apply if you live in supported accommodation that is not classed as a Hostel and is managed by Sunderland Care and Support or Together for Children where the Council is your landlord - you must apply for Universal Credit to help with your housing costs
  • have been placed in Temporary Accommodation - this is where you have been placed in accommodation by the Council to discharge our homelessness function and the landlord is the Council or a Housing Association

If the above does not apply to you, please make a claim for Universal Credit

If you are already claiming Housing Benefit and have a change of address within the city, a new claim is not required. You can continue to receive your housing costs via Housing Benefit by completing the moving home form.


Housing Benefit Estimates

To find out if you qualify for Housing Benefit based on your current circumstances use this online calculator 

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is help towards paying the council tax you or your partner pay for your property, and it is deducted from your Council Tax Bill. Sunderland's Council Tax Support scheme has been developed in line with the guidance from Central Government and have be viewed in full below.

2024 Council Tax Support Regulations (PDF) [2MB] (opens new window)        2024 CTS Scheme Summary (PDF) [273KB]

You must make a claim for Council Tax Support even if your Housing Costs will be covered by Universal Credit

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email