Toggle menu

Financial assessments

If you are assessed to receive adult social care and support services, you might have to pay towards the cost. You will be referred for a financial assessment (a means test) to work out your contribution.

What is a financial assessment?

The financial assessment will determine whether you need to pay a contribution and will depend on the money you have and any property you own. The council uses guidance set by the Government to work out your contribution - our Contributions Policy explains how your contribution would be calculated.

You'll be expected to pay up to the full costs of your care and support if you have money or capital assets over £23,250.

To get an estimate of how much you may have to contribute towards the cost of your care, you can complete our online financial assessment calculator below. Before you start using the calculator it would be a good idea to have all of your financial assessment information at hand. We have come up with some frequently asked questions to help you. Please refer to these when completing the online financial assessment.

 Financial assessments calculator

Once you have completed the online financial assessment calculator, this will show what your estimated maximum contribution might be. You then have the option to submit your financial information to the Social Care Financial Assessment Team. However, only submit this if you have already completed an Adult Social Care Needs Assessment with your social worker at Sunderland City Council. If you submit your maximum contribution, you can also upload evidence of your income, capital and expenditure to support your financial assessment securely through this calculator.

The Social Care Financial Assessment Team will be in touch with you to verify the information provided and confirm your maximum contribution that you will need to pay towards the cost of your care.

What happens after the financial assessment is completed?

If you are receiving non-residential services, you will be advised of the most you can pay towards your care and support costs - this is your maximum contribution.

If you are in residential care, we will inform you of what you will need to pay towards your placement - this is your assessed contribution.

If you have any further questions regarding your residential financial assessment we have some frequently asked questions that may help you.

Your financial assessment will be reviewed on an annual basis.

For further information on what financial information we collect, how we use it and when this may be shared, please refer to our social care financial assessment privacy notice.

Find further information on the Care Act 2014.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email