Toggle menu

Contributions for permanent care

Contributions for care and support you receive in a permanent residential or nursing care setting may vary. The amount you will pay will depend on your financial circumstances. This will be decided by the financial assessment we complete.

Services you will be charged for

If you use the following services, we will charge you at a rate dependent upon your financial circumstances and the fees we pay for the care.

You will be assessed and advised of the weekly contribution to pay against the total cost of your care and support services. You can choose the frequency of your payments which can be yearly up front, calendar monthly, 4-weekly, fortnightly or weekly so that this meets your financial circumstances. You can discuss these payment options with Income Management on 0191 5612471.


Charge (from
3 April 2023)

Residential Care - Permanent Care£807.78
Residential Care - EMI personal care£835.30
Under 65 Physical Disabilities Personal Care£880.32
Nursing Care personal care£807.78
Nursing Care personal care EMI£844.22
Under 65 Physical Disabilities Nursing Care£880.32
Reconnect Service - Archers Court & Ashlea Lodge£1741.52
Bede House Complex Young People Unit£1915.47
Northview Lodge£1800.64
Additional one to one support starts from£19.77 per hour

*These charges are subject to annual fluctuations, but costs can be gained direct from each supplier. Alternatively, your adult social care worker can advise of updated costs.


If you have more than £23,250 in savings or capital, you will have to pay the full cost of your care. In these circumstances you can arrange your care yourself or you may want to ask us the council to arrange your care for you, for which there will be an administrative charge applied.

If you have less than £14,250 in savings or capital you may not be required to pay towards the cost of your care. However, you may still have to contribute from your income, and this will be identified as part of your financial assessment.

Properties you own

The value of any properties you own will usually be taken into account in the financial assessment as capital assets.

Benefit maximisation

The financial assessment team complete with you will also check for potential benefits. If you are entitled to claim extra benefits, we will offer you advice and support you to make the claims, where appropriate.

Allowances and expenditure

You may be entitled to an allowance for any payments you make for any home related expenses such as rent, council tax, water rates etc for the first 6 weeks of your placement.  We will also advise you of the amount of weekly income you will retain from the benefits and income you receive each week to help cover your personal expenses.  This is called the Personal Expenses Allowance (PEA) and further information can be found at 

Paying for Care and Support in permanent care

You can pay for the care and support you receive using the following option.

How to pay for your care

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email