Toggle menu

Temporarily close a road

You can apply to close a section of the highway for a number of reasons.

Eligibility criteria

Anyone is eligible to apply for a temporary road closure as long as the closure is practicable.

Regulation summary

Closures may be made under different legislation, each with its own conditions and limitations:

  • Processions - Town Police Clauses Act 1847 S21
  • An event on the highway - Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 S16a
  • Additional restrictions associated with events or works on the highway - Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 S14(1)
  • Emergency closure - Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 S14(2)

You can access a summary and the relevant legislation in the 'External links' below.

Application evaluation process

Applications are evaluated to ensure the safety of the public and those involved in the works or event.

Applications are also evaluated to ensure there will be no unnecessary adverse impact on the road network.

Application fee

Each application is calculated on an individual basis. These are normally approximately £2,000 depending on the complexity of closure.

There is also a charge of £816 for each notice under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 S14(2).

Will "tacit consent" apply?

Tacit consent does not apply to applications for temporary road closures as the council must ensure that, should they be minded to grant an application:

  • The applicant is a fit and proper person
  • The reasons for closing the road are reasonable

Our target completion period for processing a correctly completed application is usually eight weeks from the time when all documentation has been submitted.

If you have not heard from us within this period, please contact us.

Apply online

Prior to making any application, you are strongly advised to contact us to discuss your requirements.

Once agreed, you can apply on line.

Apply to temporarily close a road

Public register

There is no requirement for the council to maintain a public register of these applications.

Failed application redress

Please contact the City and neighbourhood team in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

Please contact the City and neighbourhood team in the first instance.

Related Links

Roadworks in the Sunderland area - Notification of road closures, diversions and possible traffic disruption as a result of roadworks that are underway or programmed to take place within the area.

External Links

Safety at street works and road works - Code of practice to ensure safe operations when completing road or street works.

Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (opens new window) - An Act for consolidating in One Act certain Provisions usually contained in Acts for regulating the Police of Towns.

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (opens new window) - An Act to consolidate the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1967 and certain related enactments, with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission.


This service is provided in partnership with the European EUGO network.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email