Toggle menu

Organising a street party

We want to make it easier for you to hold these sorts of local events, without having to plough through mountains of forms and red tape. So we have produced this simple step by step guide to how to hold a community event in your local area. It includes one simple form for you to use to let your local authority know about your plans, so you can get on with the real work of organising a fun event.

What sort of events does this apply to?

This is about the sort of street parties and fetes that groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed below:

Street parties and fetes:
For residents or neighbours only
Publicity will only be sent to residents
No licences normally necessary if music is incidental and there is no selling involved
No formal risk assessment needed

Larger public events:
Anyone can attend
External publicity (such as in newspapers)
Licence is usually needed
Insurance needed
Risk assessment common
Professional/skilled organisers

Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary event notice, which is a type of temporary licence.

Similarly, larger public events attracting more people will require a different process. If you would like to hold a larger public event, please contact the City and neighbourhood team for further information and advice.

The number one tip for holding a party is to plan early, think about what you want to achieve and get in touch with us at least 4-6 weeks in advance.

Apply for a temporary event notice

Guide to organising a street party or fete

External Links

Organise a street party (opens new window) - Street parties on quiet streets that don't affect the wider road network count as small events. If you're planning a small event for neighbours, apply to hold a street party through your local council.

The Street Party (opens new window) - Your resource for street party planning, advice and support.

The Big Lunch (opens new window) - Take part in the nationwide get-together for neighbours.

Your guide to organising a street party (opens new window) - The government has provided this step-by-step guide which provides practical advice for anyone looking to hold a street party.

Your guide to organising a street party (opens new window)  - The government has created this guide for people looking to organise a voluntary or community event.



Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email