Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Do I need building regulations approval?

If you're building something new, or making changes to an existing building, you may need building regulation approval.

This makes sure the work meets health and safety, energy and accessibility standards, and gives you the certificates of compliance you need when you want to sell your home or building.

It's illegal to not tell us about your building work. You might have to correct the work or pay a fine if you do not tell us about it.

Apply for building regulations

Alternatively you can download the Building Regulation form and return the completed form and fee to:

Building Control Service, PO Box 102, Civic Centre, Sunderland, SR2 7DN

Find out informaton if your building work complies with regulations.

Guide to extending your home provides information about the building regulations and further guidance you may find useful.

Print Share