If you're building something new, or making changes to an existing building, you may need building regulation approval.

This makes sure the work meets health and safety, energy and accessibility standards, and gives you the certificates of compliance you need when you want to sell your home or building.

It's illegal to not tell us about your building work. You might have to correct the work or pay a fine if you do not tell us about it.

The Department for Communities and Local Government publishes guidance called 'Approved Documents' on ways to meet building regulations.

These contain:

  • general guidance on the performance expected of materials and building work in order to comply with the building regulations
  • practical examples and solutions on how to achieve complaince for some of the more common building situations.

Find out informaton if your building work .

Guides to extending and renovating your home provide information about the building regulations and further guidance you may find useful - please see Guide to extending your homeGuide to renovating your home and Tyne and Wear LABC Custom Build Guide ebook