What are Healthy Start Vitamins?
Healthy Start Vitamins are good for you and your family and will help your child grow up strong and healthy.
They contain the recommended level of vitamins A, C and D for children aged six months to four years. They also contain the recommended levels of folic acid and vitamins C and D for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Where can you get Healthy Start Vitamins?
A list of pharmacies is available here.
They are available to buy and if you register with the Healthy Start Programme, you can get them free.
You can register with the Healthy Start Programme if you are at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4 years old and you or your family is getting:
• Income Support, or
• Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, or
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
• Child Tax Credit (with a family income of £16,190 or less per year), or Universal Credit (with a family take home pay of £408 or less per month)
• You also qualify if you are under 18 and pregnant, even if you don't get any of these benefits.
The following women and children registered with the Healthy Start Programme will receive Healthy Start
Vitamin vouchers, which can be used to get free Healthy Start Vitamins:
• Pregnant women (including those under 18 years-old)
• Women with a child under 12 months
• Children aged between 6 months and 4 years of age
Where can I find out more?
To find out more about Healthy Start Vitamins, speak to your midwife or health visitor.
Information is also available on the Healthy Start website.