Sunderland Local Community Fund (Empower)
What are Local Community Fund Grants?
The grants are generated by the Empower Community Funded Solar PV Projects in Sunderland and are available for community
projects to deliver positive outcomes against the following broad criteria in the Sunderland area:
- Projects which will create alternative energy sources for use in the local community
- Projects which will deliver a reduction of energy consumption in the local community
- Projects which will reduce or reverse negative social and/or environmental impacts in the local community
The Community Fund is administered by a panel who meet quarterly. The panel is made up of Empower Community Trustees, Sunderland residents, employees from Sunderland City Council and Gentoo.
Some of the groups and organisations that have already benefited from an Empower Grant include:
- A number of community centers have received double glazing, new heating systems and asbestos removed
- A church has been fitted with PV panels
- A library and an equestrian center have received LED lighting
We are not able to fund:
- Ongoing running costs
- Projects based outside Sunderland City Council local authority area
- School curriculum activities that take place during the school day
- Religious promotion
- Major capital projects
- Projects or activities retrospectively
- Purely for-profit organisations
- Projects or activities which are the responsibility of a statutory organisation
- Sponsorship or fundraising activities
- Health and safety regulatory equipment or upgrades
As with all grant applications, terms and conditions do apply and you will receive a copy of these if your grant is successful.
Applications are welcome throughout the year, but are limited to one grant per organisation per financial year.