Pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, it's convenient, saves you time and is a trusted method of payment.
Choose your payment date from:
- Monthly - on 1st, 8th, 15th, 23rd or 28th of the month. You can also choose to pay over 10 months from April to January, or over 12 months from April to March
- Four weekly - every 4 weeks over 12 instalments from April to February, starting on any Monday
- Fortnightly - every fortnight over 26 instalments from April to March, starting on any Friday
- Weekly - any day of the week Monday to Friday over either 40 weeks to January or 52 weeks to March
If you have recently received a final notice or summons please call 0191 553 4388 to speak to a Council Tax recovery officer to make an arrangement to pay by direct debit.
Set up a Direct Debit online
You can also download a Direct Debit mandate here.
Return your completed form by:
Once we receive your completed Direct Debit mandate we will set up the instruction and send you confirmation of your instalments in the post at least 10 working days in advance of your account being debited.
Alternatively speak to us on 0191 520 5551.
The Direct Debit Guarantee
- No changes in the amount, date or frequency of a payment can be made without notifying you at least 10 working days in advance of your account being debited.
- In the event of any error by Sunderland City Council or your Bank or Building Society, you are entitled to an immediate refund from your Bank or Building Society.
- You have the right to cancel a Direct Debit Instruction at any time simply by writing to your Bank or Building Society, and sending a copy of the letter to Sunderland City Council.