Toggle menu

Reporting a change to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

The amount of benefit you get is based on the information you give us when you fill in your claim form. If your circumstances change, your benefit may change too.

You must tell us straightaway of any changes that affect your benefit. If you do not tell us, you may get too much benefit, which you will have to repay, or you may lose out on benefit you are entitled to.

If you are getting Pension Credit, you should report most changes directly to the Pension Service

If you are in doubt whether we need to know, tell us anyway by filling in the change in circumstances form. You will need your benefit reference number to complete this form.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Overpayments

Overpayments usually happen if we are given the wrong information when a claim is made or we are told too late about a change in circumstances.

Most overpayments are recoverable, which means you have to pay the money back. It is therefore very important that you make sure you give us correct information and that any changes are reported to us as soon as possible so we can avoid an incorrect rate of benefit being awarded.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email