Sunderland (Grangetown) Cemetery
Sunderland Cemetery (also known as Grangetown Cemetery) was the first municipally owned cemetery in Sunderland. It opened in 1855 on an original 12 acre site for a cost of £4700. The cemetery also has two lodges to the entrance and two chapels within the ground, all of which remain on site today.
Whilst cemetery gates are not formally closed and public access is available without restriction, we recommend that, for safety reasons, cemeteries are accessed during daylight hours only.
Ward plans are available for Sunderland Cemetery.