Toggle menu

Other help available for individuals and families

Help with funeral costs

Financial support helping families meet the costs of funeral expenses such as coffins and funeral directors' fees will increase from £700 to £1,000.

Get help with funeral costs (Funeral Expenses Payment) - GOV.UK

Bereavement Payments

For more information go to GOV.UK.

New TV licence

If you receive Pension Credit and are aged over 75 you will be eligible for a free TV Licence funded by the BBC.

If you do not receive Pension Credit and need to pay there are a number of payment options, including the launch of the 75+ Plan. This will allow over 75s switching from a free licence to a licence they pay for, to spread the cost in weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments to make it easier to manage.

The Simple Payment Plan (SPP) online registration portal for those referred by debt charities is now live. This should make the process easier for some of your clients to sign up. People can use the portal to apply for a TV Licence using the Simple Payment Plan by going to and using the reference: DCHAR2

Financial help if you have to work from home

You may be able to claim tax relief for additional household costs if you have to work at home on a regular basis, either for all or part of the week. This includes if you have to work from home because of coronavirus.

You cannot claim tax relief if you choose to work from home. Additional costs include things like heating, metered water bills, home contents insurance, business calls or a new broadband connection.

Mortgage Scheme 

A government-backed mortgage scheme will help first time buyers or current homeowners secure a mortgage with just a 5% deposit.

New 95% mortgage scheme launches


A new single access service for people needing pensions and money guidance has been launched to help you gain more confidence in managing your money.

Harmful debt collection

A new independent body - the Enforcement Conduct Authority (ECA) - will help stop harmful debt collection tactics and support vulnerable people in arrears. Contact your local advice provider for more information.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email