Toggle menu

How do I complain about a Councillor

All Councillors have to keep to a Code of Conduct to ensure high standards are maintained.

What this means to you

In most cases, the Monitoring Officer will offer the Member concerned the opportunity to comment on your complaint, before they decide whether or not it should be referred to the Assessment Sub-Committee to decide whether it should be investigated. They will also seek the views of the Council's Independent Person.

If an investigation is carried out and it concludes that there has been a breach of the Code of Conduct, a meeting of the Council's Standards Committee will be convened to consider the matter.

Investigations are carried out by an officer or external person appointed by the Monitoring Officer.

In appropriate cases the Monitoring Officer may seek to agree a resolution of your complaint at any point in the process, without investigation and/or hearing. This might involve the Member offering an apology, or other remedial action by the Council.

The Standards Committee can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a Member and will not deal with complaints about things that are not covered by the Members' Code of Conduct. If you make a complaint, it must be about why you think a Member has not followed the Code of Conduct.

If you want to complain about the conduct of a Member of Sunderland City Council or a Member of Hetton Town Council, you must submit your complaint to:

Elaine Waugh, Monitoring Officer

Sunderland City Council, City Hall, Plater Way, Sunderland, SR1 3AA

You can complete the complaint form below and return it to the above address or by email to

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email