Toggle menu

How to complain about a council service

The council has made a commitment to respond to customer feedback, including complaints, positively, and to provide a high standard of response to complainants, no matter what their complaint or where in the council they report it. We view complaints, as well as positive feedback, compliments and comments, as a means of identifying how we can promote customer satisfaction and improve our services.

Make a complaint about a council service

Or speak to a member of our customer service team.

Full details on the corporate complaints procedure (pdf).

Below, you will find the answers to some frequently asked questions.

What is a complaint and who can complain?

A complaint is defined as: "An expression of dissatisfaction by one or more members of the public about the Council's action or lack of action or about the standard of a service, (whether that action was taken or the service provided by the council itself or a person or body acting on behalf of the council) that requires a response".

What is not classed as a complaint?

The council receives some complaints or other comments about matters which it generally would not be appropriate to consider as a formal complaint. For example a customer may make a request for, or submit a complaint; regarding a particular service provision and this would not necessarily be considered as a formal complaint.

Can I complain on behalf of someone else?

The council is happy to accept complaints from third parties. A third party is any person or organisation acting on behalf of or making enquiries for the complainant.

How will my complaint be dealt with?

We aim to sort your complaint out as soon as possible on the spot but, if we cannot, the council operates a two stage process for dealing with complaints.

What happens after my complaint has been investigated?

We will do our best to resolve your complaints about our services as quickly as possible within our timescales and treat you fairly throughout the process.

What if I am not happy with the outcome?

The Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman has a statutory responsibility for investigating complaints of maladministration about local councils. The Ombudsman will usually only consider a complaint after it has been through the council's complaints procedure and the customer remains unhappy.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email