Toggle menu

Ceremony venues

It is possible to marry in any approved venue in England and Wales.  Civil weddings may now take place in hotels, public houses, hospitality venues or any other place which has been licenced for the solemnization of marriage by the Local Authority.

Please remember that before you can get married you must give notice of marriage, and that the marriage can only take place at the venue you name in the notice.  Should you give notice of marriage and then wish to change the venue, it would be necessary to give and pay for, new notices of marriage.

If you choose to marry in a licenced venue, you will need to book the Registrar to attend.  This can be done up to two years in advance of the ceremony.  Please check that the Registrar will be available before confirming your booking with the venue.

All preliminaries to marriage or civil partnership are dealt with by the Superintendent Registrar.

To see further details of approved premises for the city of Sunderland, please see the links below.

For more information contact Life and family.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email