Toggle menu

Full time students

You are not counted for council tax if you are a full time student. Depending on who else lives with you, you may get a discount or exemption on your bill.

 An exemption will be awarded if:

  • You are a full time student and the only adult living in your home or;
  • The property is occupied only by full time students

You may be awarded a 25% discount if other adults live with a full time student and only one person is counted for council tax.

Student in Higher Education

To qualify as a full time student in higher education the student must be:

  • At college, university or similar on a higher education course which
    • Lasts at least 24 weeks
    • Involves at least 21 hours a week of study, tuition or work experience or,
  • A student nurse

Each student must complete the Student Discount Form.  Unless you attend Sunderland University you will also need to provide a college or university student certificate.

Student in Further Education

To qualify as a full time student in further education you must be:

  • At school or college
  • Under 20 years of age
  • On a course that lasts at least three consecutive calendar months
  • Study least 12 hours a week and,
  • The course must be carried out between 8am and 5.30pm

Each student must complete the Student Discount Form.

After you have applied you must continue to pay the amount shown on your council tax bill until you hear from us.

You may also not be counted for council tax if you are:

  • A foreign language assistant registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges
  • A non-British spouse or dependant of a student and you are prevented by the terms of your UK entry from taking paid employment or claiming benefits

Unoccupied property left empty by a full time student

If you are a full time student living away and you have left your sole or main home unoccupied, your home may be exempt from council tax if all of the following circumstances are met:

  • You were the last person to occupy your home
  • No one else lives in your home
  • You have become a full time student within six weeks of your home becoming unoccupied

This exemption continues as long as you remain a full time student and your home remains unoccupied. If someone else moves into your home who is not a full time student, you would not qualify for the exemption once they moved out.

You will need to tell us:

  • The date the property became unoccupied
  • The address the student moved to
  • A copy of the full time student certificate

To apply for these reductions please supply the details required by:

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email