Accredited Landlord Service
The Sunderland Accredited Landlord Service from Sunderland City Council aims to improve the physical and management standards of private rented homes within the city. It's a free service open to all landlords and there are lots of benefits of becoming a member.
What is accreditation?
The Accredited Landlord Service is a free scheme which shows tenants that your home is safe, secure, maintained to a high standard and has been approved by Sunderland City Council.
Benefits of accreditation
- The property will be more attractive to prospective tenants
- Free enhanced tenant reference checks reducing the risk to the landlord
- Up-to-date information on new legislation and compliance requirements
- Aftercare service with ongoing support and advice for landlords including dispute resolution
- Up-to-date information on regeneration / improvement schemes and initiatives in Sunderland including energy efficiency grants and tenants' arrears contributions
- Free advertising of properties
- Access to a deposit guarantee scheme for tenants
- Access to support to bring empty properties back into use
How do I get accredited?
Please complete the Sunderland Accredited Landlord & Leasing Application
If you have a small portfolio of homes (five or less) we will complete inspections of each one, but with larger portfolios we will complete sample inspections. The inspection by our trained officers ensures that the properties are:
- Free from Category 1 Hazards under the Housing Health and Safety Rating system (HHSRS)
- Are of a good decorative standard
- Are safe and secure with smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms and adequate locking to doors and windows
You will also need to provide evidence of EICR, CP12, building insurance and EPC.