Toggle menu

Voter ID

Photo ID Post it

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections.  Photo ID is not required for postal voting.

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.  You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don't have an accepted form photo ID

If you don't already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you're not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this at

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form .

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request a paper application form, contact us via email on or 0191 5205550.

Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

Voter ID - Your Guide Booklet

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email