Safety at a sports ground
Building Control are responsible for dealing with safety certification under the Safety at Sports Grounds Act 1975 and Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sport Act 1987.
Safety certificates are required for:
- Sports stadiums with capacity for 10,000 spectators (designated grounds)
- All premier and football league stadiums with a spectator capacity of 5,000 (designated grounds)
- Sports grounds with one or more regulated stands, with a capacity of 500 spectators
Application evaluation process
Prior to making any application, you are strongly advised to contact us on 0191 561 1550
Completed application forms should be accompanied by:
- Detailed design drawings of the stadium or stand(s)
- Location or site plan
- Safety policy for spectators
- Proposed spectator capacities and calculations
- Risk assessments
- Event plan
- Contingency plans
Fees are payable in respect of applications for new or amended general safety certificates and special safety certificate for both designated sports grounds and regulated stands.
Please contact us on 0191 561 1550 to discuss your requirements as fees vary.
Will "tacit consent" apply?
Tacit consent does not apply to applications to change a safety certificate for a regulated stand at a sports ground. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.
Our target completion period for applications is ten working days from the time when all documentation and fees have been submitted.
If you have not heard from us within this period, please contact us on 0191 561 1550