Sunderland residents have a choice of two Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
- Beach Street, Deptford, Sunderland, SR4 6BU
- Campground, Springwell Road, Gateshead, NE9 7XQ
Business and trade waste is not be accepted at either of these sites.
|1st April - 30th September ||1st April - 30th September |
|Monday - Sunday 8am - 8pm||Monday - Sunday 9am to 6pm|
|1st October - 31st March ||1st October - 31st March |
|Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm||Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm|
|Saturday and Sunday 8am - 6pm||Saturday and Sunday 9am to 6pm|
Campground is only closed Christmas Day. Beach Street is closed Christmas Day and New Years Day.
If you visit the sites in a car (without a trailer) with your own household waste material (from the property you currently live in), you do not require a permit. All users must follow the on-site rules.
Other vehicles may need a permit. Find out what vehicles need a permit for Beach Street or for Campground before arriving at the site.
What can I take to the household waste and recycling centre?
Tips for visiting the recycling centre
- The Recycling centre is accessible by vehicle only. Pedestrians are not allowed to carry waste on to site.
- You must be a resident of Sunderland.
- The busiest times are weekends, Bank Holidays and school holidays. If you want to come when it's quieter try during the week before 11am or in the evening.
- Separate your waste before you come - it will speed up your visit.
- Plastic bags or bin bags can only go in the general waste skips. All other recycling must be removed from plastic bags. There are bins provided for the bags.
- Make sure that you put the right material into the right container - staff are on hand to help.