Elemore green space and social enterprise
Elemore Green Space is a circa 60-hectare site which is allocated open countryside. The site, which was a former golf-course had the potential to allow for several uses to be introduced, creating useable green space as well as protecting the natural habitat for future generations.
Sunderland City Council, following significant resident consultation through 'Let's Talk' are now committed to developing the site and supporting the creation of a social enterprise, that will coordinate the running and activities held within the site. Future developments and activities will include:
- Pocket forests which are 'owned' by schools and community groups
- Café - opened within the former golf club on site (social enterprise)
- Visitor/exhibition centre which highlights history of the area - opened within the former golf club on site
- Garden centre - grow and sell plants - opened within the former golf club on site and utilising adjacent open green space
- Community gardens and allotments
- Training opportunities linked with the café; exhibition centre; land management; garden centre; and community gardens
- Walking and cycling routes and enhancing the comprehensive route which is already in place linked with Stephenson Railway which travels from Elemore to Silksworth and the River Wear. Stephenson Railway will be 200 years old in 2022
- Car park and cycling provision/stands/potential cycle hire - improving and making safe the car park on site and installing cycling provision
- Leisure activities and mini festivals - operated and arranged by social enterprise within the open green space, utilising café and visitor centre, working with local schools and communities
- Wildlife corridors and opportunities to observe wildlife in natural habitat - design must support and nurture wildlife in the area to ensure no further biodiversity decline - link with 'eco tourism'