Toggle menu

Environmental permitting

You may need an environmental permit if you do an activity that could pollute the air, water or land and increase flood risk by adversely affecting land drainage.

You are breaking the law if you operate without a permit when you should have one.

To check if you need a permit and for further information about environmental permits please see the guidance from GOV.UK.

Part A permits

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part A (1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency, whereas Part A (2) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority.

Apply for an application for an environmental permit part A2

Part B permits

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air. The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations which are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Application for an environmental permit part B

Application process

All applications should give all the information the authority needs to make a decision and must include the relevant fee.

If your application does not include all the required information a request for additional information will be made delaying any decision. If any additional information requested is not provided the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility. For waste operations no license will be granted unless required planning permission has first been granted. 

Applications are then decided within 4 months of receipt, or 3 months for dry cleaners and small oil burners. 

Will 'tacit consent' apply?

Tacit consent does not apply to apply to applications for environmental permits as the council must ensure that the premises are suitable.

Public Register

A public register has been set up giving details of all integrated pollution prevention and control processes (IPPC), which are regulated by the Environment Agency and local authority air pollution control (LAPPC).

These records may be inspected by prior appointment during normal opening hours at the City Centre Customer Service Centre at 31-32 Fawcett Street, Sunderland, SR3 1RE. You must arrange an appointment by calling the City and neighbourhood team at least 24 hours in advance.

Some information may be kept from the register on the grounds of national security or commercial confidentially.

Failed application redress

An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of our decision.

Completed appeals should be made to:

The Planning Inspectorate
Registry/Scanning Room 3/01 Kite Wing
Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay

If you would like further informatiom you might find the links below useful:

Local authority environmental permit


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email