Toggle menu

Crisis support

Crisis Support is one of two schemes that make up Sunderland City Council's Local Welfare Provision Scheme. The scheme is intended to help vulnerable people who do not have short-term financial resources to be able to meet certain needs themselves following an emergency or crisis. 

The scheme supports people with a crisis or emergency and can provide help with: 

  • food 
  • utilities (gas/electricity) - for people with prepayment meters only  
  • travel costs - in exceptional circumstances only and is limited to specific journeys such as hospital appointments or job interviews  
  • clothing - can cover basic clothing needs where the applicant does not have or has been deprived of suitable clothing following a crisis or emergency 

Support may also be given where an applicant has been discharged from long term hospital care or released from prison.

Eligibility criteria  

The individual's application must meet the Local Welfare Provision Policy requirements and meet at least one of a number of eligibility criteria  which includes lacking financial resources.

How to apply

Applications must be made via telephone to our Home and money team on 0191 520 5551

Find out where you can get other help and support at 

If you are waiting for a new DWP benefit award and/or are in financial difficulty, visit  

For further information on how the Council uses your personal information, please refer to our Privacy Notice on the Council Website

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email