Toggle menu

Apply for building regulations

You should apply for building regulation approval before you start work. If you have started without applying we may still be able to give you approval but you need to tell us straight away and there will be a charge.

You can apply for building regulations online or by completing the downloadable form. Completed downloadable forms should be sent, with the applicable fee to Building Control Service, PO Box 102, Civic Centre, Sunderland, SR2 7DN.

Full plans Submission

If you're preparing a full plans submission, full constructional details of the proposed work should be included. It would be advisable to seek professional advice for what is required unless you have a working knowledge of building regulations and building construction.

Apply for building regulations online

Building notice applications (domestic works only)

If you choose this option, generally no detailed plans are required as greater emphasis is placed upon site supervision. However, a location plan will be required for works involving property extensions. Plans, details and structural calculations may be requested during the course of the work to assist us with checking, but these will only be requested if absolutely necessary.

Regularisation applications

If you have built a structure without the necessary building regulations approval, you may be able to submit a regularisation application. This gives retrospective building regulation consent. It also assesses if further works is necessary before the works carried out can be formally certified as being in accordance with the Building Regulations.  This is a complex process and you are strongly advised to contact Building Control on (0191) 561 1550 to discuss this process further, prior to submission of the application.

Further Information

Find out more about building regulations by visiting the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) website.

The following documents provide advice that is only relevant if instead of submitting your building regulation application to the local authority, you have chosen to appoint an Approved Inspector who has subsequently ceased trading.

Guidance Note - Discontinued service by an Approved Inspector

Reversion application form

Form 7 - Notice of cancellation

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email