Taxi and private hire licensing
Sunderland City Council are responsible for the licensing of the following within Sunderland:
- Private hire operators
- Private hire drivers
- Private hire vehicles
- Hackney carriage drivers
- Hackney carriage vehicles
If you wish to work in Sunderland as either a hackney carriage driver or private hire driver (or both) you will need to obtain a licence from us.
We have developed a step by step process for applying for a licence. All licences are granted in line with our Fit and Proper Person Policy (link to the policy) and new applicants should familiarise themselves with the requirements of this policy before taking the first steps to become licensed.
With the introduction of The Immigration Act 2016, the Council is now under a legal duty to ensure all applicants have the right to live and work in the UK. You will be required to prove that you have these rights before being licensed for either a first grant or renewal.
To apply for a licence to drive either a private hire or a hackney carriage vehicle you must also:
- have held a full driving licence for one year
- have the right to work in the UK and be able to provide original evidence of your right to work
- pass the Council's knowledge test
- complete a DBS check and provide original supporting documents
- have a medical check