Check what Planning Permission you need
Not all works require planning permission as some works can be undertaken under permitted development. Sunderland City Council can provide pre-planning advice to guide applicants through the planning process.
Pre-planning advice is not compulsory but can lead to a more efficient and effective application submission.
- Information advice about what changes can be make to your house without planning permission is available from the Planning Portal website
- Check if there are any planning constraints in your area such as conservation or tree preservation orders
- Complete one of our pre-planning advice application forms. There is a fee associated with your submission
What happens next?
If you know that planning permission is needed:
If you know that planning permission is not needed:
- You can apply for certification that a development is lawful (and does not require planning permission) through an application for a Certificate of Lawful Development or;
- Make a start on your development