Toggle menu

What are Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is help towards paying your rent.

If you live in privately-rented accommodation Local Housing Allowance (LHA) may be used to calculate your entitlement to Housing Benefit

Find further information on Local Housing Allowance rates.

If you rent from a Housing Association the amount of Housing Benefit you get may be affected by the under-occupancy charge.

Find further information about underoccupancy

What is Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support is help towards paying your council tax

Sunderland's Council Tax Support scheme has been developed in line with the guidance from Central Government. For more information, please see the Council Tax Support Regulations  and the Council Tax Support summary.

You can claim Council Tax Support if you or your partner pay Council Tax for your property. Any award of Council Tax Support will be deducted from your Council Tax bill.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email