Toggle menu

How to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

From 25 July 2018 we went live with Universal Credit Full Service.  From this date we cannot accept new claims for Housing Benefit for working age customers unless you:

  • live in Exempt or Specified Supported Accommodation - this does not apply if you live in supported accommodation that is not classed as a Hostel and is managed by Sunderland Care and Support or Together for Children where the Council is your landlord - you must apply for Universal Credit to help with your housing costs
  • have been placed in Temporary Accommodation - this is where you have been placed in accommodation by the Council to discharge our homelessness function and the landlord is the Council or a Housing Association

If you are already claiming Housing Benefit within the City, a new claim is not required if you have changed address.  You can continue to receive your housing costs via Housing Benefit.

Please complete moving home
to report your change of address.

Make a claim for Universal Credit

You must still complete this form if you want to apply for Council Tax Support.

Housing Benefit Estimates

To find out if you qualify for Housing Benefit based on your current circumstances use this online calculator

Making a claim to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Claim housing benefit and council tax support using our online form.

When completing the form, it is best to have certain details to hand such as:

  • Identity and National Insurance numbers
  • Income and earnings
  • Savings and capital
  • Household details
  • Rent and tenancy details

Where applicable, we will also ask to see proof of this information to support your application.

Start a new or continue a saved form

Once your claim form has been submitted, we will contact you if any further information is needed.

Once all the necessary information has been received, your claim will be processed and your benefit will normally be paid from the Monday following the date we received your claim.

You will receive a letter giving details of your award.

Apply for Direct Payment to Landlord

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email