Demonstrating our commitment
Following the approval of the Sunderland Community Wealth Building Strategy by Cabinet in March 2020, the Council has demonstrated its commitment to drive forward delivery of the strategy, working alongside partners, residents and business.
A Community Wealth Delivery Group was quickly established incorporating key senior officers from across the council, alongside the Cabinet Member for Vibrant City, the Deputy Leader of the Council and representation from other political groups. Each of the five Area Committees also agreed to further support the Community Wealth Building Strategy, appointing their Area Committee Chair as the Community Wealth Champion for the Area.
The Delivery Group meet monthly and follow a detailed delivery plan to ensure all elements of the strategy are developed and delivered. Community wealth building must also be considered as part of every Council decision and the strategies and core principles are embedded into all service delivery plans, as well as staff performance and appraisals.
During 2020 the council:
- Established Community Wealth Building Delivery Group and action plan including clear metrics to measure performance and success
- Created Community Wealth Building Champions across the city supported through the Area Committees
- Launched a volunteering platform, which was used to coordinate the thousands of volunteers required to support the COVID Community Hubs
- Introduced an apprenticeship levy transfer scheme, to fund new apprenticeships with other employers, to support the development of skills and jobs within the city
- Became the first council in the Northeast to be an accredited Real Living Wage Employer (August 2020) and now formulating an action plan to make the City of Sunderland the first accredited Real Living Wage city in the Northeast
- Embedded our resident engagement strategy Let's Talk Sunderland, engaging with over 50% of the population, which informed Neighbourhood Investment Plans and community wealth journey