Toggle menu

Universal Credit information for housing providers and landlords

Housing providers and landlords need to find out about Universal Credit (UC), get to know their tenants and support them.

The DWP have produced information and support guides for landlords to help maintain healthy tenancies under this new benefit system.

Universal Credit - the facts

  • There is a dedicated DWP helpline for housing providers and landlords -  0800 328 5644
  • Social housing providers may get access to the landlord portal and Trusted Partner programme
  • Universal Credit  has been improved - people can get advance payments that cover their personal needs and housing costs - even while they are waiting for their claim to be processed
  • If you or your tenant have real concerns about them paying you the rent from their UC the DWP may be able to pay you directly. You can ask for rent payments to be made direct from your tenant's Universal Credit if they're having difficulty paying you by downloading a UC 47 form and emailing it back. The tenant can request direct payments to their landlord via their journal on their online Universal Credit account, during their meeting/conversations with their work coach/case manager or by phoning phoning Universal Credit on 0800 328 5644

There is more financial support available.  As well as 100% advance payments there is now a 2 week HB run on  and other discretionary help.

Find information on your local services through Sunderland Information Point link.

Further useful information can be found within our desk aid (pdf) and key messages (pdf) documents.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email