The Local Action Group and Accountable Body
To support the CLLD programme, a Local Action Group (LAG), made up of community representatives, public, private and voluntary organisations, has been established to explore the issues, agree the best solutions and activities, and monitor the programme's progress.
The LAG was set up at the start of the programme in 2016 and is a community-based forum for overseeing the development and implementation of the Community Led Local Development (CLLD) programme in Sunderland until the conclusion of programme delivery in 2022.
The LAG is a group of community representatives, voluntary and community organisations, local businesses and public sector representatives who have come together to support and drive the delivery of CLLD, and in particular to improve and maximise opportunities within the local economy. The LAG currently comprises 14 representatives from the VCS/residents, public and private sectors, including representation from each of the 4 Area Committees in the CLLD area.
The specific tasks of the LAG are to:
- Oversee and guide the development and validation of the CLLD strategy, including developing and supporting community consultation
- Identify gaps in the strategy and develop plans to address them
- Devise non-discriminatory and transparent processes, and criteria for design of project implementation, including avoiding conflicts of interest
- Approve the CLLD strategy and its implementation plan
- Support and agree the publishing of calls for projects that support the outcomes and outputs identified within the CLLD strategy
- Receive and assess project applications ensuring fit within the CLLD strategy and contribution to delivering outputs and targets
- Work with the accountable body to present proposals for approval
- Monitor and evaluate delivery of the CLLD programme
Accountable Body arrangements
Sunderland City Council is the Accountable Body for this programme and the LAG reviews its membership on an annual basis. The Accountable Body is the organisation responsible for ensuring sound and robust financial management and accountability for the funds, management, monitoring and evaluation of CLLD activities and outcomes.
The Accountable Body's primary responsibilities are to:
- Support the LAG
- Facilitate project applications
- Assess and approve individual projects in conjunction with the LAG
- Award grant funding to approved projects on behalf of the LAG
- Monitor and verify activities, expenditure and performance
- Manage audit, risk, evaluation and project closure requirements