Toggle menu

Getting your financial affairs in order

Preparations for the future may include giving someone permission to manage your affairs, making a will or planning for your funeral.

By planning for your future now, you will ensure that you get the greatest possible choice and control over your financial affairs in the future.

You can also prepare and plan for care costs and make informed choices by seeking independent financial advice. We cannot provide financial advice, but strongly recommend planning ahead now so that you understand all of the financial options available to you.

On this page you will find links to national independent organisations and services that you can contact for financial advice.

Making a will

Your will lets you decide what happens to your money, property and possessions after your death. If you die without a will and have no relatives, your money and property will go to the Government Legal Department and ultimately could go to the Government.

Planning your funeral

Planning your own funeral ensures that you have choice and control over what happens after you're gone.

There are also financial products, called funeral plans, where you can plan and pay for your funeral before you die. There are a wide range of funeral plans available from a number of organisations. You should consider choosing your plan from an organisation that is registered with the Financial Planning Authority.

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney is a legal document that allows someone to make decisions for you, or act on your behalf, if you're no longer able to or if you no longer want to make your own decision

You may need to make longer-term plans if, for example, you have been diagnosed with dementia and you may lose the mental capacity to make your own decisions in the future

It's important to be aware that there are different types of power of attourney and you may want to set up more than one.

Getting independent financial advice

It's important to have some financial advice to help you make carefully considered plans for later life and to help with the costs of care.

You might benefit from independent financial advice if:

  • You need a small amount of money to fund care at home or to pay for adaptations or extensions to your home
  • You have an immediate need for long term residential or nursing home care
  • You're already staying in a care home and paying for it from your own income or savings
  • You're acting as an attorney or deputy and looking after the financial affairs of someone in any of the above situations
  • You're planning ahead for any of the above situations

Financial information and advice may help you to:

  • Prepare and plan for care costs and make informed choices
  • Prevent you from running out of money
  • Provide continuity of care and avoid disruption should you have to move
  • Support your choice of care and support
  • Consider the options for a property (for example whether to agree to a Deferred Payment)

Free financial information and advice is provided by a number of national and local organisations, see links below. These advisers are also able to provide advice on areas such as:

  • Long-term care funding
  • Pensions
  • Investments and savings
  • Equity Release
  • Tax planning

If you want further information you might find the links below useful:

Money Advice Service - Putting your affairs in order

Help to find a regulated funeral plan provider - The Funeral Planning Authority independently regulates providers of funeral plans.

Get help with funeral payments - If you're on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you're arranging, you may be able to get a Funeral Payment.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email