Toggle menu

Disabled Person

If you or someone who lives with you is disabled, you may be able to get your Council Tax reduced to a lower band.  If your home is in the lowest band you can still get a reduction.

To qualify for a reduction, the property must be the sole or main residence of the disabled person, the person can be an adult or child; it does not have to be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax bill.

 Council Tax rules say the disabled person must be substantially and permanently disabled and your property must have at least one of the following:

  • A room predominantly used by and required for meeting the needs of the disabled person, but not a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory; or,
  • An additional bathroom or kitchen required for meeting the needs of the disabled person; or,
  • Sufficient floor space for the use of a wheelchair. The disabled person must need to use the wheelchair indoors.

To apply for this reduction you must fill in disabled reduction application form  or speak to our Home and Money team.

Return your completed form by:

Once we have received your application, we will contact you to arrange a visit to your property.

Find further information on other Council Tax reductions.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email