Toggle menu

Anti-social behaviour

Find out what is classed as anti-social behaviour, who is tackling it, how you can report it, and what standards of service you can expect to receive from us. 

Anti-social behaviour covers a wide range of behaviour and can be subjective, what is acceptable to some people, may be unacceptable to others.

It is therefore important to be tolerant of other peoples' needs and circumstances, in order to reduce anti-social behaviour within communities.

Anti-social Behaviour is defined as acting "In a manner that caused or was likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household".

The Safer Sunderland Partnership consists of a group of organisations including the City Council, Northumbria Police and landlords all working together to tackle anti-social behaviour.

You can help solve problems in your area by reporting anti-social behaviour to:

  • Northumbria Police on 101 if you are experiencing or witnessing anti-social behaviour which requires a Police response or on 999 if the behaviour is very serious and there is a risk to your safety
  • Your landlord, if you are a social housing tenant:
    • Gentoo by calling 0191 525 5000 (or 0800 028 4445 outside normal opening hours)
    • Home Group on 0345 141 4663
    • Bernicia on 0191 238 3800 or 03448003800 24/7
    • Anchor on 0845 140 2020
    • Two Castles on 0191 2614774

If you are thinking about reporting anti-social behaviour, it may help to record the incident.

Tackling anti-social behaviour

Sunderland City Council is committed to tackling anti-social behaviour. It has the support of a number of partner agencies including the Police, Health, Education, Youth Offending, Probation, Gentoo, Berncia, as well as businesses, community and voluntary organisations working across Sunderland.

Reporting anti-social behaviour

You can help solve problems in your area by reporting anti-social behaviour. You can also contact the City and Neighbourhood team

If the behaviour is very serious and there is a risk to your safety you should contact the Police.

Help us to help you

Working with agencies, it is our aim to resolve problems using a variety of methods including:

  • Warning letters
  • Acceptable Behaviour Agreements
  • Injunctions
  • Closure Orders

In a small minority of cases however, we have worked with landlords to evict tenants who fail to modify their behaviour from their properties.

Your help in tackling anti-social behaviour is essential. Any information will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Do you have to give your name?

You do not have to give your name. However, it can be difficult to deal with anonymous complaints and also means we cannot feed back to you about action we have taken. We would therefore prefer that you provide us with your name and contact details, which will be treated in the strictest confidence.

What about confidentiality?

Your complaint will be dealt with in the strictest confidence and you name will not be given to anyone without your permission. The service works to ensure that your anonymity is protected. This can also apply when taking statements or attending court if your case requires this. We can attend court and give evidence on your behalf without your name being disclosed.

Find out how we use your information in anti-social behaviour (pdf).

What happens once I report something

Depending upon your case an anti-social behaviour officer will contact you for further information, this can be done via telephone or in person at your home if appropriate or a neutral venue.

How the case is progressed depends upon the circumstances. Often a letter or a visit to the alleged perpetrator may solve the problem.

Other cases may require mediation services. In more extreme cases enforcement action such as Injunctions may be applied for which means we will need to prepare a case for court.

The team understands that reporting anti-social behaviour can be a daunting step to take. You can however be assured that any reports made will be treated in confidence.

Your name will not be given where you have indicated that you wish to remain anonymous. You will be kept up to date with how the case is progressing and your views will be respected throughout the process.

In order for us to constantly improve the service we deliver to our customers, we undertake a sample selection of surveys after case closure.  If you are contacted by the Council's Customer Contact Centre I would be grateful if you would engage in the process as your views are extremely important to us.

What to do in situations where a case is closed without satisfactory resolution.

When dealing with anti-social behaviour the team along with partner agencies may not always be able to achieve a desired outcome. Sometimes a person's desired outcome may be unrealistic and therefore not achievable by the team.

The team do consider the needs of the victims whilst also addressing the behaviour of the individuals who are perpetrating anti- social behaviour and consider the tools and powers available to cease such activity from re-occurring. 

If you feel that your case has been closed without a satisfactory resolution we would ask that in the first instance you contact the officer involved in your case. The officer can discuss with you the reasons as to why the case has been closed and provide further clarification as to why your desired outcome has not been achieved. You can also ask to speak to the team manager.

You can contact the team on 0191 520 5550 and an officer will speak to you directly or you can leave a message and an officer will ring you back as soon as possible.

Finally, if you are still unhappy you may also with to consider making a formal complaint. If you remain unhappy with how the council and its partners have dealt with your concerns you may be able to activate the Community Trigger.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email