Houghton Cemetery was originally opened in Durham Road on the 1st March 1892. The grounds extended over an area of 5 acres and at the entrance a handsome half-timbered lodge was built which remains there today. The cemetery was enclosed by a wrought iron fence and the total cost of the cemetery development was £4000. Over the years the cemetery has been extended and it now covers an area from Durham Road through to Hetton Road.
Whilst cemetery gates are not formally closed and public access is available without restriction, we recommend that ,for safety reasons, cemeteries are accessed during daylight hours only.
Ward plans are available for Houghton Cemetery.