Help with debt
This page provides information and help with:
There are lots of places to get free and independent help and advice about debt. They can help you get a clear picture of your debts and then help you manage them.
The Money Advice Network provides quick help either on the phone or online. The Government provides this service, and it is confidential and free. If you have money issues because of the COVID pandemic, they provide specific support on that too.
We have some local support services in Sunderland that also provide debt advice. Contact:
- The Citizens Advice Sunderland website or phone 0300 330 1194
- The Shiney Advice and Resource Project (ShARP) website or phone 0191 385 6687
- The Sunderland West Advice Project website or call 0191 514 2930
The Business Debtline website provides debt advice to small business and self-employed people. They are a national charity and provide this support for free. Visit their website or call them on 0800 197 602
- The Council's Crisis Support Scheme can support people in crisis. It can help with food, gas, electricity, travel and clothing. There is more information Crisis Support Scheme webpages . You can apply by calling 0191 520 5551.
- You may be able to get some help towards your rent. You need to apply to the Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment.
- You can apply for affordable and trusted credit from the Moneywise Credit Union.
Practical and emotional support
- Sunderland Mind provides confidential support for people experiencing emotional or mental health problems.
- Sunderland Foodbank provides food to people who are struggling to buy it. Visit the foodbank's website for more information on how to get help.
- You may be able to apply for a grant to help with broken or inefficient heating. Visit the Energy Company Obligation scheme webpages for more information.
- The England Illegal Money Lending team provides information and support around loan sharks. You can report a loan shark on their website and check whether your lender is legal.
- Citizens Advice provide information about online scams.
- Friends against Scams aims to protect and prevent people from becoming scam victims. It also provides information on what you should do if you think you have been scammed.