Toggle menu

Report a noise

Report noise nuisance

Noise complaints can be investigated and actions may be taken if the noise is considered to be a statutory nuisance.

It can be:

  • Barking dogs
  • Burglar alarms
  • Car alarms
  • Loud music and home entertainment
  • DIY and building work
  • Parties

What we'll need to know

When you ask us to investigate your complaint you will need to give us your full name and address, and a telephone number. We may contact you during the office hours.

Make sure you are providing the necessary information about the noise:

  • Wwhere the noise is coming from
  • Occupier of the building
  • Type of the noise (e.g. loud music, dogs barking, rowdy disruptive behaviour
  • How long and how often noise occurs
  • How noise affects you (e.g. you can't sleep)

Please record the dates, times, duration and the cause of the noise and what effect it is having on you or your family.

Also, keep a record of any conversations or correspondence with your neighbour.

What's next?

On receiving your complaint an Officer from the Council will assess your complaint and will be in touch with you on how your complaint will be dealt with.

We may also ask you to have noise monitoring equipment in your home so officers can listen to the noise. If your complaint requires legal action you may need to attend any court proceedings.

If we don't take action or you don't want us to take action you can complain direct to Sunderland Magistrates Court. You will need to keep a written record of the dates, times and duration of the noise and how the noise affects you.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email