Toggle menu

Rent and mortgage arrears

These pages give you information on what you should do if you are in arrears with your mortgage or rent.

Mortgage arrears

If you're struggling with your mortgage repayments and can't get back on track - or are worried about losing your home, the temptation may be to ignore the problem.

Please do not do this - instead contact the Money Advice Service (opens new window) to find out what you can do and where you can find help. 

Rent arrears

If you cannot pay your rent, don't ignore the problem. Talk to your landlord as soon as possible.

Whether the problem is caused by a change of circumstances, a budgeting difficulty, or a cut in benefits, you can take some important steps you can take to help get yourself back in control and avoid eviction.

Money Advice Service (opens new window) can give you advice about rent arrears.

Find your local debt advice provider through Sunderland information point (opens new window)

If you would like further information you may find the links below useful:

Managing your debts

Utility debts

Make your money go further

Your Benefits

Debt Test (opens new window)

Debt Advice Locator (opens new window)

Take control of debt (opens new window)

Step Change (opens new window)

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email