Working age claimants

In some circumstances, Housing Benefit can be backdated for up to one month and Council Tax Support for up to six months before the date the claim was made. Good reasons for not claiming earlier must be shown and details and evidence of your income and circumstances for the backdate period must be provided.

If you wish to make a claim for backdated Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you must fill in the Claim for backdating Housing or Council Tax Support form.

Return your completed form by:

Pension age claimants

Pension age claimants will have their benefit automatically backdated for a maximum of three months from the date of their claim. You do not need to complete the backdate form for this and good reasons for not claiming earlier do not need to be shown.

Print Share