Universal Credit (UC) is a new benefit to help those out of work or on a low income. It is a single monthly payment that will replace some of the benefits and tax credits currently in payment. For most people who claim UC, it will include housing costs, so a separate claim for Housing Benefit will no longer need to be made.

At present in Sunderland, UC only affects new claimants who are single with no children, but it is expected to be rolled out to all other new claimants by May 2018.

However, UC cannot be paid to Pension Age claimants, those with three or more children and those living in Supported Accommodation, therefore such claimants will still need to claim Housing Benefit.

Also, UC does not include help towards your Council Tax, so you must claim this separately by completing our online form at make a claim.

Find out further information on universal credit.


Print Share