Household waste collections
Employees collecting refuse and recycling
Find out when your rubbish is collected, how to get assisted collections, what to do with your bulky waste and more.
The council will:
- Carry out weekly collection of waste from households either in your wheeled bin or, in the case of a small number of premises in the Washington area, plastic sacks
- Carry out collection of Your blue recycling bin
- Collect bulky items of household waste or sacks of garden refuse or other waste which cannot be accommodated in your wheeled bin. Please contact us for advice on disposing of hazardous waste or pesticides
- Ensure the Household Waste Reception and Recycling Centres are open for delivery of household waste at the advertised opening times
- Collect dead pets on the same day of your request. We may also pick up dead animals from the Highway
- Collect and dispose of scrap vehicles
If you wish to make items of furniture available for use by others, you should contact Community Sustainability Services.
Donating and selling items
You can donate a variety of household items to charity shops, this saves the items from ending up in a landfill site and therefore has a positive impact on the environment too.
One-stop recycling information centre
Your items can be sold or advertised online. There are also regular local car boot sales.
What you can do to help
You can help us maintain our service standards in the following ways:
- Please make full use of your bin. Break down boxes and other bulky items before placing them in the bin
- Please put your bin out on the day of collection
- Please do not place sacks or boxes next to your bin. Make use of the special collection service for extra refuse. Request a collection here
- Please retrieve your bin as soon as possible after collection