Penshaw Monument stands magnificently above the city on a limestone hill in the middle of the Great North Forest
Penshaw stands magnificently above the city on a limestone hill in the middle of the Great North Forest
The monument affords views as far afield as Durham Cathedral and the North Pennines.
One of the North East's most prominent landmarks, Penshaw Monument was built in 1844 in honour of the first Earl of Durham, John George Lambton.
Located opposite Herrington Country Park, Penshaw Monument was modelled on the Thesion, the Temple of Theseus in Athens.
The 2A or 2C bus from Park Lane Interchange stops on Chester Road for Penshaw Monument.
Find out more Penshaw fact sheet [253kb]
Penshaw Monument is located off the A183, OS Grid Ref: NZ 333 544