Trees may be protected by either a Tree Preservation Order or by virtue of being within a Conservation Area. If either of these is the case it is usually necessary to gain permission from the council's planning service before carrying out work.

In some circumstances it may also be necessary to obtain a felling licence from the Forestry Commission.